1.4 kg blood oranges
1.5kg sugar (warmed)
4 cups water
½ cup campari
Peel skin off blood oranges, place peel side down on the chopping board and carefully remove pith with a sharp knife. Cut peel into thin strips.
Over a bowl, hold peeled oranges and cut the segments between the membranes out. Discard membrane and seeds. Slice up segments.
Place orange segments into a preserving pan along with fine strips of peel and 4 cups of water. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to a simmer until peel is very soft.
Add Jamsetta and warmed sugar (to warm sugar, place in ovenproof bowl and heat in oven pre-heated to 150°c for 6 minutes), heat gently until dissolved, stir constantly. Bring to boil and boil vigorously for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Skim scum from surface with metal slotted spoon if necessary.
To test for a set, remove one of 3 chill proof saucers from freezer and place a teaspoon of jam on it. After 40 seconds run finger through jam. If set, jam will crinkle; if not, continue cooking for 3 minutes and repeat process with new chilled saucer.
Once set, remove jam from heat and stir Campari into mixture, stand for 5-10 minutes. Pour into sterilised, warm, dry jars.
Seal immediately with Fowlers Vacola Kleerview Covers and label.
Jam that has not set
Jam made without Jamsetta often does not jell, but can be recovered.
1. Ensure ratios of fruit to sugar are correct; use this recipe as a guide and increase sugar if necessary.
2. Return jam to preserving pan; bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
3. Remove from heat, add 25g (1/2 packet) of Jamsetta for every 1.5 kg of non set citrus jam.
4. Return to heat, bring back to boiling and boil vigorously for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Test for a set. If not setting, add another 25g of Jamsetta as above.
6. Refer to point 6 on your recipe