YIELD: 6 or 7 No.28 Bottles (No. 31 bottles can be substituted if 28’s unavailable)
1½ cups mixed peel
1½ cups chopped raisins
1¾ cup currants
3 cups sultanas
2¼ cups slivered almonds
1 cup plain flour or plain wholemeal flour
4 teaspoons cinnamon
4 teaspoons mixed spice
2 teaspoons garam marsala (optional)
2 teaspoons nutmeg
250g butter or margarine, melted
2 tablespoons golden syrup
4½ cups soft breadcrumbs
2 apples peeled, cored and grated
Juice and rind of 2 oranges
4 eggs, beaten
½ cup rum
1. Place the dried fruit and nuts into a large mixing bowl. Add the flour and spices, butter and margarine, treacle, sugar, breadcrumbs, apples, orange juice and rind, eggs and rum. Mix well to blend all ingredients.
2. Place rings on 6 or 7 No.28 bottles, grease well with melted butter.
3. Divide mixture evenly through 6 bottles, using the 7th if necessary. (2/3 filling each)
4. Place on lids and clips.
5. Professional PRESERVER: Process on “Hold Boil” for 3 hours. SIMPLE NATURAL PRESERVER: Process for 3 hours. STOVE TOP: Bring temperature up to boiling, 100°C which should take between 45-60 minutes, maintain at this temperature for 3 hours.
6. Leave clips on bottles for a further 12-18 hours before removing.
7. Store bottles in a cool, dark place.
NB: When reheating a bottle, attach clip to lid, place bottle in saucepan either upright or on its side, half cover with water, simmer 30 to 40 minutes.
However if you don’t feel inclined to make your own, Fowlers have the solution
Fowlers Vacola Luxury Plum Pudding 400g. Made with all natural ingredients including vines fruits, butter, brandy and spices it’s the perfect finale to your Christmas celebrations.
Available at all Woolworths / Safeway supermarkets or buy them online here.