Ginger Beer Plant (Yield 8 litres)
8-12 sultanas (preferably home grown grapes dried in Fowlers Dehydrator)
Juice of 2 lemons
1 tsp lemon pulp
4 tsp sugar
2 tsp ground ginger (preferably home grown grapes dried in Fowlers Dehydrator)
2 cups cold water
¼ tsp compressed yeast OR
2-3 grains dried yeast
- Combine all ingredients in glass jar (vintage No.65)
- Leave for 3 days until it begins to ferment, then each day for one week, add 2 tsp ground ginger and 4 tsp of sugar.
Ginger Beer Recipe
4 cups sugar
4 cups boiling water
Juice of 4 lemons
7 litres of cold water
- Mix sugar in boiling water until dissolved.
- Add juice of 4 lemons.
- Strain contents of ginger beer plant through muslin or a nylon sieve.
- Add 7 litres of cold water.
- Pour into Fowlers fruit juice bottles, fitted with size one rings.
- Allow to stand for 2 weeks before using.
- To keep ginger beer plant alive, retain half strained residue, place in a jar with 2 cups cold water, continue feeding as before.